Read God's Word

YouVersion

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I'M NOT YOUR SUPERMAN

Lately, I’ve been nursing a series of all time lows that has caused emotional woundedness in my life. It’s been five years since I lost my best friend… mama. And though I’ve been handling it well for all those years, I miss her. And with all that pain buried deep down inside, life goes on. I continue to go on with life the same way Clark Kent did. He lives that portion of his life acting in hopes that people would see him as a human being with all our frailties.
But unlike Clark Kent, some Preachers have to walk a fine line. I’m not talking about the fine line of ideological conformity, or ecclesiastical practices, procedures and protocols. I’m talking about the fine line of being perfect in the sight of everyone. A line that says it’s impossible for a preacher to fall or become capable of making mistakes, be super invulnerable to heartbreaks, never ever be discouraged or suffer disappoints, and will never be capable of being broken down by abuse, anger, disrespect.

Recently, I’ve lost my job as an agent and advisor for a highly successful insurance company. As a matter of fact, the number one life insurance company in the entire U. S. of A. All simply because I trusted a person in a church whom I placed too much trust in. I stressed the importance of a decision being made by a deadline that would cause me to be terminated of my dream job and livelihood. It truly has affected my livelihood as well as my loved ones. I waited for a simple returned call, email or even a text message and received none. Even in the midst of being in the same vicinity, he never said a word. It was as if he just didn’t care. It was such an uncomfortable feeling to be in his vicinity without the visitation of emotions I was not proud of. So I decided to take a little time off and away from the source of my anger.

Out of that experience arrived days, weeks and months I wanted so badly to become a recluse. Get away from everything and everybody. I was too easily angered with any and every body including those I loved the most. I refused to go to church services, meetings, receive calls. Those close to me who at one time thought I could never do wrong. I was their superman. I then realize the key to all my recent pain was one I didn’t have to go through if I only gave it all to God. God took me way, way back in the day during the nineteen-sixties in my beloved hometown of Brooklyn where I first took notice of my hero, my superman, my brother Ernest.

Growing up, I remember how much Ernest loved Superman simply because he was so strong. I looked up to my brother back in those good old days and continue to do so today because of his intelligence, strength and a heavy dose of charisma. Ernest was full of energy and had a very, very magnetic personality. But there came various days in his life when his little brother witnessed, unbeknownst to him that he, “The Great Ernesto” was not super human, nor superman but only human.

My hero was vulnerable to heartbreaks, discouragements, disappointments, abuse, anger, disrespect and so much more. And even though I painfully witness those weak areas in his life, he was still my hero. The way he handled those kryptonite moments of life helps me today during those kryptonite moments in my life today as a preacher. God does not expect us to be supermen and superwomen. He simply wants us to do the possible so He in turn will take care of the impossible.

Quite a few Preachers, Pastors, Ministers and Elders of the Gospel at times are held up high on a pedestal but we must all come to the realization that no matter how magnetic, energetic, intelligent or charismatic some can be, they are all only human. They are vulnerable to heartbreaks, discouragements, disappointments, abuse, anger, disrespect and so much more.

Clark Kent fooled people sometimes, but his vulnerability was just an act. Underneath was the man of steel. Superman came to help people who were weak and needy; but he himself was never afraid, never confused. Superman never joined a twelve-step recovery group, even though he had lost both his biological parents and the planet he had called home. He never joined a lonely hearts club, although he was always alone. He never got into therapy, even though he wore blue tights, a yellow belt, some red boots and a red cape beneath his regular clothes.

So many people assume preachers are invincible. We must realize they are just men and women who are also tempted and are highly vulnerable as prime targets of the devil. Sin is also in their nature. You add that and the vicious attacks they get, it all adds up.

Preachers, pastors, and Bible teachers are on the front lines of a war. It is our responsibility to help them. We can do that in a very simple way. It's called prayer. Speaking of prayer, when was the last time you prayed for your Pastor, a Preacher, an Elder or a Minister of the Gospel?

I was reading some blogs and ran across some figures that were very upsetting. Take a look at some of this: Focus on the Family, and other respected organizations:

•80% of pastors believe pastoral ministry has negatively affected their families. Many Pastor’s children do not attend church now because of what the church has done to their parents.

•90% of Pastors feel they are inadequately trained to cope with the demands of ministry.

•70% say they have a lower self-image now than when they first started.

•Only 1 out of every 10 ministers will actually retire as a Minister in some form.

•The profession of Pastor is near the bottom of a survey of the most-respected professions.

•Over 4,000 churches closed in America last year. That’s more than 10 every single day.

•Many denominations report an “empty pulpit crisis”. They cannot find ministers willing to fill positions.

•More than 50% of all pastors are so discouraged that they regularly consider leaving the ministry.

•80% of seminary and Bible school graduates who enter the ministry will leave the ministry within the first five years.

•85% of Pastors said their greatest struggle is dealing with problem people such as disgruntled members, disgruntled Elders, disgruntled Deacons, disgruntled worship leaders, disgruntled worship teams, disgruntled board members, and disgruntled associate Pastors.

•90% said the ministry was completely different than what they thought it would be before they began.

•80% of Pastors’ wives feel left out and unappreciated by the church members.

•80% of Pastors’ wives wish their spouse would choose another profession.

•50% of Pastors’ marriages will end in divorce.

•70% of Pastors constantly fight depression.

With these figures, who would want to Pastor a church?

Anyone that does has got to care about mankind. There have been some great pastors that have sinned and been shunned completely from society. But we go on and sin and it's ok. I don't get it.
I give honor to the Pastors, preachers, ministers and teachers in my life (the good ones as well as the ones who weren't). As a preacher I too must admit that the amount of time we spend in what most folks give too much glory to, (The Pulpit) is but 5% or less of where we are used by the Lord.

To fill the job description of today’s Pastor sounds like a job for Superman. A pastor is expected to make house calls as willingly as yesterday’s country doctor, to shake hands and smile like a politician on the campaign trail, to entertain like a stand-up comedian, to teach the Scriptures like a theology professor, and to counsel like a psychologist with the wisdom of Solomon. He should run the church like a top-level business executive, handle finances like a career accountant, and deal with the public like an expert diplomat at the United Nations. No wonder so many pastors are confused about just what is expected of them and how they will ever manage to live up to all those expectations. People also forget about all visitations to the prisons, jails, hospitals, clinics, schools, the suicide attempt or so and so died phone calls in the wee hours, running a church, recruiting, motivating, administering, organizer of nurturing relationships and the list goes on and on and on.

I ask that you please keep them in your prayers. Also their families, they need it; take another look at the figures above and take in how real it is.

I pray you would position all preachers of the Gospel on your prayer list. If it seems like the list is too long choose a few names a day or a group per week but please do pray for these brothers and sisters of the pulpit. I promise you that the Lord would be mightily pleased and will bless you for it in abundance. Thank you.

PS. Please pray for me as well, I am human as well and know that no one will ever live in this walk not needing prayer.

Thank you and God bless you.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just, a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody who can save anybody. First I want to give love to the Father for giving me the opportunity to be an instrument for him to live in and live through for the glory that belongs to only him and Him alone. I served in the United States Navy for twenty one years and retired September 2003. During the last 3 years of my naval career, I served as co-pastor of Greater New Refuge COGIC in Fallon, Nevada under the tutelage of Pastor Gregory L. Brown. While there, I diligently served my pastor and church with the construction of a new sanctuary, and caring for the needs of all ministries, while simultaneously striving to stay focused on the mandate that the Lord had placed upon my life to preach the Word of God without compromise. I was licensed to preach November 2002 and Ordained June 2003. While stationed in Virginia Beach, Virginia, I proudly served and as constituent of Pleasant Grove Baptist Church for seventeen years under the leadership of Bishop Elect W. D. Scott, Sr. and presently serve under the leadership of Bishop B. Courtney McBath at Calvary Revival Church in Norfolk, Virginia.

MY THEOLOGICAL TRAINING:

It brings to my face a unadulterated smile each and every occasion I am asked, “Elder Dre, What Theological Training do you have?”

My heart beams with joy at the opportunity to humbly give full glory to God as I reflect on on how the prophets, patriarchs and apostles of old would have respond: Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joshua, Gideon, King David, Elijah, Elisha, Jeremiah, John the Baptist, Matthew, Mark, Peter, James, John and the other disciples, not forgetting the Saviour Himself.

How would they have answered the question: “What theological training do you have?”

The words of the prophet Amos also came to mind: “Then answered Amos, and said to Amaziah, I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet’s son; but I was an herdman, and a gatherer of sycomore fruit:” Amos 7:14

I surely am not impliedly decrying theological preparation, education or training: I consider it essential, but not as much as some think. For the fact is, the Almighty raises up believers according to His own standards.

Educational qualifications, wealth, fame, talent, social standing, outward appearance etc. are useful; but they are secondary in His sight. Qualities like faith, obedience, holiness, humility, honesty, absolute loyalty to one’s spouse, the ability to raise one’s family to fear God and keep His commandments etc.; these are the things the Most High values.

“Man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

Only on the Day of Judgment will it be known how truly educated, weighty and effective I have been. That is why I have to smile when the question arise.

The vanity of the question is only matched by the foolishness of my answer.

As the wise man wrote: “Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher; all is vanity.” Ecclesiastes 1: 2 or as the apostle Paul commented in 2 Corinthians 11:16-30 when rattling off a long list of impressive qualifications “... I speak as a fool.”

Furthermore, we have seen with our own eyes and now testify that the Father sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. All who proclaim that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God. 1 John 4:14-15 (NLT)

I am a preacher, but most of all, I proclaim that Jesus is the Savior with various applications of that truth in my everyday life. My dear friend, if you are a Christian, you are a preacher also. Whether you have been ordained or not, hired by a church or not, or ever been recognized as a preacher or not is beside the point. All who have God living in them are called to proclaim the Savior to the world. It is a Holy calling, and a demanding one. It will pull you out of your comfort zone, challenge your commitment, and help to develop you into the person God has created you to be.

John spoke as an eyewitness to Jesus' saving power. We speak as heart-witnesses; ones who have not seen Jesus with our eyes, but have experienced Him through personal transformation. I speak, and you speak, as a representative of Christ on earth. The message that we bring is simple, yet profound; that God the Father sent God the Son into the world to save those who are lost to bring them into relationship with Him. As you tell the story, and I tell the story, some will listen and receive the grace that God has sent us into the world to proclaim.

PRAYER THOUGHT: Father, what a privilege to be a spokesperson for You.

Thank you for stopping by. Stay encouraged and please do come back.